Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It matters.

I've been learning something pretty amazing lately:

Being kind to a person can change their life.

I've found myself in the midst of a community of extraordinary people, all with different backgrounds, different goals, different priorities, different most things, really. It's neat.

I've also found myself, rather surprisingly, with a lot to offer: a rather over-sized couch, a dining room table, an ear, and a mouth that is capable of saying "It's okay to be you. We can try to be better together."

I didn't realized that these things were so valuable, but as it turns out, they are. And I've been increasingly grateful to have them. And as more people enter in, they find what they have to offer and they give it and I am grateful. I think you can see where this is going. It seems like real, organic community happens when everyone becomes aware of, grateful for, and excited to give of what they have to give.

No one is perfect. I trust you. It's not about being right. What do you need?

We should say these things to one another more.



I was talking with someone about this - this community that I'm invested in - and I realized that this is, in part, what I'm trying to do right now with Mercury Studio, but on an occupational level. I want to give people a place where they can do their work in a community that is supportive and positive. 

It matters.

I guess when something is important to you, it moves you in every part of life.


This post was written, very tardily, as a part of a blogging game. The players are The Creative Collective and the topic is What Moves Me. See what the others are saying.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect Katie. I've found that in order to create a community where I'm saying, "it's okay to be you", it often requires me to get out of my comfort zone and to open my life up to people who I would not ordinarily do so with or to people who are not like me.. Just saying..

    ReplyDelete